The Society has a large historical collection which comprises three main categories.
(1) Archives (2) Library (3) Instruments and Apparatus
1. Biographical material of cardiologists. Original papers, obituary notices, photographs, of former members of the Society and of physicians from abroad.
2. Manuscript letters in their original state written by Sir James Mackenzie and Sir Thomas Lewis among several others. See Appendix A for a complete list. They have been donated by Dr Arthur Hollman.
3. Articles relating to specialties within cardiology for example: Cardiac catheterisation, Electrocardiography, Radiology, Rehabilitation, Surgery and many others.
4. The Cardiac Club of 1922-1937. Original documents of the club.
5. The British Cardiac Society 1937- 2006 Material relating to meetings of the Society, including the scientific programmes and attendance books with signatures. Selected correspondence of the officers and financial statements. Minutes of Council meetings.
6. The British Cardiovascular Society 2006 onwards. Programmes of the annual meeting.
7. Journals. (a) British Heart Journal complete set from volume 1 in 1939 to its change of title to Heart in 1991 and Heart since then. (b) Cardiovascular Research 1966-1995 ( a few volumes missing)
The chief aim of the library has been to present a general view of the development of cardiology mainly in the 20th century. However a generous gift by Dr Dennis Krikler of facsimiles of the classic texts of cardiology means that we also have a good selection of books from the 19th century and earlier. As of 2010 we have about 500 books.
Instruments and Apparatus
Our collection includes
There is a full list of instruments and apparatus at Appendix C
A presentation of selected topics (click on an item to view it)
• The Equipment of Dr Augustus Waller (1887)
Posters created by Arthur Hollman and shown at annual meetings of the Society
There is separate section for paediatric cardiology in our display cabinets. It contains a Sanborn Electrocardiograph used by Dr Gerald Graham at the Hospital for Sick Chilren Great Ormond Street London: a catheter guidance device; and a collection of books on paediatric cardiology.
Appendix A Manuscript letters
Please note: These are copyright of the British Cardiovascular Society
From Sir Thomas Lewis between 1904 and 1930
From Sir James Mackenzie between 1909 and 1920
From Henry Lewis (father of TL) 1910-1914 eight letters
From Katherine Hannah Lewis (mother of TL) 1904-1913 four letters
From Dr Eluned Woodford Williams (a former student) to Sir Thomas Lewis 1935-1944 twelve letters
From Jan Masaryk Czech Minister in London 1925 to Sir Thomas Lewis telling him he had been elected to the Czech Medical Society of Prague.
From Mr Wilfrid Trotter FRCS to Sir Thomas Lewis in 1929 with congratulations on the Victor Horsley Lecture
On the occasion of Lewis’s election in 1918 to the Royal Society four letters of congratulation from Henry Head, Joseph Barcroft, E M Bruce-Vaughan and Sir William Osler.
Transcriptions of some important letters
Appendix B Electrocardiograms and phonocardiograms recorded by Dr Thomas Lewis 1909-1913
Original recordings made by Dr Thomas Lewis in the Cardiographic Department of University College Hospital Medical School London between 1909 and 1913. They are mounted on cards. The recordings may be divided into four main groups.
[a] Electrocardiograms made with the Edelmann apparatus between December 12 1909 and December 23 1911. This was Lewis’s first electrocardiograph apparatus and it signalled the start of his extensive research with the electrocardiogram. There are 12 electrocardiograms from patients with, for example, mitral stenosis, paroxysmal tachycardia and heart block. One was reproduced in Heart volume 2. This was the apparatus that Dr Alfred E Cohn of New York had used with Lewis earlier in 1909. Cohn took one to the Mount Sinai hospital New York when he returned to the USA on board the SS Adriatic in the autumn of 1909. It was the first electrocardiograph in North America
[b] Electrocardiograms made with the newly designed Cambridge Instrument Company apparatus between November 19 1911 and August 29 1913. Of the 39 electrocardiograms, several have jugular venous and arterial pulses recorded with the ECG tracing. Four are annotated for publication. One normal tracing is from his father Henry Lewis. The abnormal electrocardiograms show a variety of arrhythmias. These include atrial flutter which had been first recorded only two years earlier, heart block, and atrial and ventricular tachycardia. One recording of atrial fibrillation uses a chest lead, possibly the first use of such a lead, to show the f waves more clearly.
[c] Twelve electrocardiograms are from normal infants, one is labelled “ 12 hours after birth”. There are five tracings on one infant, Billy Sampson, taken over a period of three months and showing resolution of physiological right ventricular hypertrophy of the newborn. These were published in his 1913 book “Clinical Electrocardiography”, where he used the phrase “preponderance of the right ventricular muscle” which is probably a better title.
[d] Phonocardiograms were recorded simultaneously with the electrocardiogram using, in 1913, the newly developed twin string galvanometer of the Cambridge Company. There are nine recordings showing mitral incompetence, mitral stenosis, aortic incompetence and normal heart sounds. Lewis used a simple method of cutting out low frequency vibrations and as a result the high frequency aortic incompetence murmur is very well displayed. Phonocardiograms had been recorded in 1907 by Willem Einthoven in Leiden and Lewis used his model of a carbon microphone.
Appendix C The apparatus and instruments in the Museum of the British Cardiovascular Society
Information to follow
Page Hits: 4243